By Subrat Kumar Pati
You can make your own Radio Station. Yeah, this is not impossible! You can establish your internet radio station and broadcast contents of your choice. You may call it an Internet Radio, Web Radio, E-Radio or Online Radio. You can talk to your audience directly live, sing a song and interview a person of your choice. For the first time, such station was pioneered by Carl Malamud, an American technologist in 1993. Now its your turn!
Its very easy to start such a station now and not very expensive. In India, it may cost near about 50,000 rupees (minimum) to start an online radio station.
There are many advantages of such kind of Radio Stations.
- You do not need a 24×7 studio to broadcast contents. Even while you are sleeping the broadcast will be going on air. You don’t need to keep your computer on every time when the broadcast is going on air.
- The station can be managed by a single person. You may not need to hire so many people to manage it.
- A person having basic knowledge of computer can operate the station after 15 days of training.
- The station can be clearly audible on computers and mobiles. There will be no noise and interference as traditional radio stations.
- You do not need high speed internet connection to manage or listen an online radio.
- Your station can be heard all over the world. Wherever there is internet, you will be reachable there.
- If you are an Indian, you can broadcast for NRIs.
Worldwide, internet radio services offer news, sports, talk, and various genres of music—every format that is available on traditional radio stations. Worldwide demand for such stations are increasing. As the cost is not high; educational institutions, corporate organisations, individuals are showing interest in such stations.
In India, this medium of communication is not much popular as compared to European countries. As per the information of Wikipedia, 47% of all Americans (an estimated 124 million people) listens to the radio online.
In European countries, Internet radio attracted significant media and investor attention in the late 1990s. In 2003, revenue from an online streaming music radio in America was US$49 million. By 2006, that figure rose to US$500 million.
Outreach is an organisation which promotes Radio in India. It is providing consultancy for making online radio stations. To get all kind of support to make your own Internet Radio Channel, you may call Outreach on 7683870813 or write a mail to email@example.com. Outreach is having its own online radio station named as ‘Radio Bhubaneswar’. It can be heard by installing android app of Radio Bhubaneswar or by visiting www.radiobhubaneswar.com.
(Writer of this article is a Multimedia Journalist and Broadcasting Expert having 13 years of experience in media. He is the Founder of Outreach and organizer of International Radio Fair)